Welcome EventsZion Lutheran Church Anoka
All Are Welcome at Zion Lutheran Church
Our doors are open to fellow believers in Jesus Christ and to the community at large. Our Core Value of Welcome calls us to invite others for fellowship and community.
Here you will find an overview of Zion’s Welcome Events.
Zion Super Sale
Zion’s Super Sale is just what the name implies…SUPER and a SALE! Each year this long-standing tradition brings in hundreds of savvy shoppers and thousands of dollars that go to support the mission and ministries of Zion Lutheran Church. Held the first week of May, this event is more than a rummage sale. For those who organize it, the Super Sale is neighbor working with neighbor sorting, unloading and cleaning. It is where new friendships are made and old ones are renewed. It is fun, laughter, hard work and NOT TO BE MISSED! If you are interested in finding out more about becoming a Super Sale Volunteer, contact Dee Ann Cameron at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Night to Unite
The first Tuesday in August the Zion community celebrates Night to Unite with a picnic supper, games, face painting and visits by the Anoka Fire and Police departments. This event is not only for our Zion Community but for the community at large. If you aren’t attending an event in your own neighborhood, you are invited to join us at Zion! If you are interested in volunteering for this event, please contact Dee Ann Cameron at: email@example.com.
JOYA Concert Series
Season tickets are now available for the upcoming JOYA Concert Series.
The 2019-2020 JOYA season includes a star-studded lineup of local musicians including Minnesota Orchestra’s Osmo Vanska, Erin Keefe, Anthony Ross, Charles Lazarus and Douglas Wright along with Scott Lykins, James Garlick, Timothy Lovelace and Mary Jo Gothmann.
- September 29 – One Piano/ Four Hands featuring pianists Timothy Lovelace and Mary Jo Gothmann. Playing piano duets was a primary source of home entertainment in the 18th and 19th centuries resulting in a wealth of wonderful repertoire! You won’t want to miss this program of rarely heard works by Beethoven, Barber, Dvorak and Poulenc.
- November 17 – Anthony Ross, Principal Cellist of the Minnesota Orchestra and JOYA favorite returns for an afternoon of cello and piano music including Mendelssohn’s Sonata in D, White Tulips by Minnesota composer Steven Heitzig. Variations on a Theme of Rossini by Martinu and more. Pianist and JOYA founder and Artistic Director Mary Jo Gothmann will join Anthony for this beautiful program.
- January 19 – Osmo & Erin featuring Minnesota Orchestra Music Director Osmo Vanska and Concertmaster Erin Keefe. Osmo and Erin return to JOYA for a varied concert of music for clarinet, violin and piano. This special program will include music of Sibelius, Beethoven, Schubert, Arutiunian and an original piece by Osmo. This is a rare opportunity to hear this husband/wife duo playing wonderful chamber music.
- March 29 – Charles Lazarus and Douglas Wright, star trumpet and trombone players of the Minnesota Orchestra will join pianist/organist Mary Jo Gothmann. This program will feature these two incredible and versatile brass players in a wide variety of music!
- May 3 – Piano Trios featuring violinist James Garlick and cellist Scott Lykins. James and Scott join forces with pianist Mary Jo Gothmann for this season closing program of piano trios. Featured on this program is a trio by Brahms and a set of pieces from “Paul Klee: Painted Songs” by local composer Jonathan Posthuma which will include projections of specific paintings accompanied by music.
All concerts take place on Sundays at 3 pm in Zion’s Sanctuary.
Season tickets are available for $50, student admission is always FREE.
For more information go to www.joyachambermusic.com.
What do 500 pounds of lutefisk and 500+ people clad in Scandinavian sweaters have in common? Their love for a GREAT Lutefisk Dinner! On the first Monday of each December, Zion Lutheran Church opens its doors to that AMAZING cod fish and those who LOVE it! Tickets for this popular event go on sale the first Sunday in November at 8 a.m.
Senior Citizen Events
Zion’s Senior Citizen Group, The OWLS (Older, Wiser, LutheranS), meets several times each year for entertainment and fun. Past activities have included a bus trip to the Martin Luther Exhibit at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, ventriloquist Kevin Doely’s presentation of Laugh for Life, a St. Patrick Day event and an old-fashioned ice cream social. Future events will be advertised on the website, in the weekly E-update, the Life Together bulletin insert and the monthly Herald newsletter. For more information about the Zion Senior Ministry, contact Dee Ann Cameron at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Category: Welcome Events